Monday, May 21, 2012

Do It Yourself

So I am totally on this do it yourself kick, yes thanks a lot to Pinterest, and I have to be honest that it has made life so much greater. The thing that rocks about DIY is that it A) saves money, B) is usually healthier or better for the environment, and C) is so much fun! So I told you a few posts ago that I would explain some of my health goals. First, let me get on my soap box. I believe that people, especially Americas, eat like crap! We don't give any thought into where it came from, how it was made, and more importantly what is in it! I look at other countries, like Europe for example, and they just seem to have a passion for food. They taste it, savor it, and most importantly, appreciate it! I feel like us Americans are garbage guts that will eat anything and everything as long as it is cheap and convenient. I know that I have been very guilty of this and still am at times, but I decided to change. I love to cook, but even more than that, I love to cook with my own fresh ingredients from our garden. There is something so fulfilling about picking tomatoes and basil and making fresh brushetta. So good! And even better, on homemade baguette bread (thank you pinterest). Honestly, have you ever tasted brushetta made from store bought tomatoes and then garden tomatoes? BIG DIF!

 

 Anyway, I believe people should have a connection to their food. In the words of the bad guy on Rataouille, "if I don't love it I don't swallow".  Maybe a little extreme, but a great motto! So my goal as far as health goes is to eat naturally. "If it doesn't come from the ground or have 4 legs, don't eat it", from a Jillian Michaels book, and I feel the best way to do that is make it yourself, cause then you know what is in it. You may think you are eating pretty healthy but check out the ingredients! That is usually a good indicator. I hardly look at the nutritional facts anymore, and just the ingredients, and I have never felt better! Here is a few examples: I used to get Sarah Lee whole wheat bread. Have you ever looked at the ingredients!? I don't know what half of them are! Some people may think its great though because it says 100% whole wheat. So I make my own, easy, and so much tastier! Another thing, I would buy nutri grain bars from Sam's Club cause Lillie liked them, and ya, they were convenient. Seriously, I don't think I recognized one ingredient on there. So I decided to make my own granola bars with whole grains and dried fruit. Delicious and healthy!! So I am sure you are already thinking, that no normal person has the time to make all their own stuff. Yes, it absolutely takes more time, but it is worth it! Like I said, I have never felt healthier and I have since lost 16 lbs, all because I care what I put in my body. I told Matt that I will have to commit to having a baking day once a week, but it is fun. I make two loaves of bread and put one in the freezer. I made 2 kinds of granola bars last week and can put those in the freezer. And I honestly feel that this is the way I want to live for the rest of my life. I have to tell you that when I first started this way of eating, I still craved burgers and soda, and candy often, and it took me about 3 months to stop craving it. I think that is because artificial sweeteners, preservatives, processed foods are addicting. I was telling Matt a few months ago, "You know how sometimes you don't want a home grilled burger? Sometimes you just need a good greasy fake tasting one from Wendy's." Seriously! I think people like that fake artificial flavor and are addicted to it! But I promise you, if you commit to eating healthy, eating naturally, you will be so glad you did. You will have more energy, feel happier, and feel so much satisfaction from eating things you made. TRY IT! Here are some recipes I have loved, also feel free to get on my pinterest and look at my pinned it, did it, loved it board cause I review everything I try. I even tried my own laundry detergent!



Britt's No-Fail Wheat Bread (And I mean you can't mess it up!)

12 C Whole wheat flour
2 Tbs dry yeast
5 C hot tap water
2 Tbs salt
2/3 C oil
2/3 C honey

Makes 4 loaves, I half it.

Using a bread mixer (kitchen aid), combine 7 cups of wheat flour (freshly ground is best) and dry yeast. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add water. Mix well with the spoon. Stir until moist. Add bread hook to your mixer and turn on. Add salt, oil, and honey. Mix until well blended. Add up to 5 more cups of flour, one cup at a time, until dough is soft and leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead for 10-15 minutes. Grease 4 bread pans. Divide dough into four parts. Form into loaves on greased counter top and place in pans. Let rise in a warm place or put in oven at 150 degrees and bake 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and butter top of bread if you want the tops soft. Enjoy the smell, its divine!

granola

I really like this granola bar recipe from pinterest. The other day I had a great idea and made granola bars with crushed pistachios, dried cherries, and chocolate chips! Heaven! The flavors go so well together. Putting them in a baking pan works better though in my opinion.

Anyway, try it. Also if you have any good ideas of DIY things, please comment. Thank!

4 comments:

  1. love this post! took this motto about 2 years ago and it changed my life!! When we got married Brock had to follow it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! So happy and proud of you! I know it is not easy being healthy. I am on board with all that you said. This year I have commit to be like this too! My blendtec has changed my life:) Ha ha! I would love to try these recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those muffin things look like they are made from silicone. That's probably why you didn't like using them because you probably had paper ones. Anyway, I like this too and I have been trying to make my own stuff too. Its nice that its summer now so we can use stuff from our gardens. Winter makes it harder to be committed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the time it takes someone to cook store-bought, dry spaghetti, I GUARANTEE I can mix dough from scratch, roll it, cut it, and cook it. The noodles taste so much better and, in my opinion, are healthier.

    ReplyDelete